Tuesday, November 30, 2010

New News! and Allergies

So this post is long overdue!  I am pregnant! 21 weeks along, actually!  We don't know what we're having and I haven't really had any horrible sicknesses or food aversions. Sometimes I do wonder if I can have a food aversion to making dinner or some pregnancy related aversion to doing house work....but I don't.  We will find out if it is a boy or girl the first week of January.  I can feel the baby move around but not as much as when Hunter is right next to me.  When I am holding him or he is sitting next to me - man does that baby KICK! And right at him too!  I'm not sure if that is a good sign...I guess only time will tell.  Sorry, no pictures.  I'm not upset with getting a bigger belly, but I don't think I'm thrilled enough to take pictures every week either. : )

Another long overdue post:

This summer we took Hunter into an allergy doctor.  He had his blood drawn and was poked and prodded.  He, unfortunately, does have allergies.... drum roll please:

Pistachios and Cashews

This is actually what made us worry.  One night I gave Hunter 1/4th of a cashew.  A while later, Gary and I put him to bed. He was having a hard time sleeping since our family trip and so we let him cry for a little while.  When I went in there he had thrown up, had hives all over his body, and was having trouble breathing! Yeah, so much for the "let him cry it out" theory.  After that we decided to have him tested and it turns out his is just as allergic to pistachios and may go into more 'anaphylactic shock' if he is given them.  Great.

Walnuts and Pecans

The doctor said he only registered a tiny bit allergic to these so we should probably avoid them until he is a little older..... I think we will have him tested again next year and see if that has gone away.....

So as far as nuts go - Hunter is completely fine with peanuts, almonds, and other nuts except for pistachios, cashews, walnuts, and pecans. Weird.

So the scratch and poke and infect you with allergens test was next.  We had the doctor add cows to the test since we only own dogs and cows.  (And those are going to be around Hunter a lot)

Results!
Dogs
Yes, Hunter is allergic to dogs.  He is only has symptoms when they lick him.  The doctor thinks that since we have a dog and he has been around her since birth that his allergies have possibly lessened.  This would be fine except that Hunter LOVES dogs.  He loves to give them hugs and kisses.....especially kisses.  So after some playtime with dogs, I usually just have to give a red faced- hived little Hunter a bath. Another Great.

Cows
Can you believe he is only allergic to the two animals we have? I don't know how allergic he is to cows, but I am guessing it is just the same as the dogs. Fortunately he only gets licked by a cow when we go to Gary's parent's house and he sticks his hands in a baby calf's mouth. So, I'm thinking we can teach him not to do that.

They tested for all sorts of other things and he is fine.  He is just allergic to the two types of animals we are around the most and the most delicious kinds of nuts.

I figured I had better at least do one post about this because I almost gave Hunter a sample from Costco with some pistachios in it before Gary stopped me. Ah! It is such a change to worry about that sort of thing - especially this time of year when everything and everyone either has one or the other around.  For those of you with allergy prone kids - do you have any tricks?  We have to wait until Hunter is 5 for him to get allergy shots - but that is looking like a real possibility.  You can only get shots to fix the dogs and cows.  I think he is stuck with pistachios and cashews being poison forever.

9 comments:

  1. Poor Hunter!!! He is allergic to the BEST nuts...and I can't believe he is only allergic to the two kinds of animals you have!! How rude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being pregnant. So yes there will be 4 pregnant women at the Christmas party!! And at least he isn't allergic to milk! Maybe it's just a phase and he'll grow out of it. I read somewhere that what the mom eats while she is pregnant can trigger early allergies in their babies. Not sure if the article was a reliable source or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's have a 'write in' for possible names for your baby. Good idea?? Let's hear it out there. What should Mary and Gary name their next boy or girl?(They probably won't take any of our suggestions but I think it might be fun giving them some anyway(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the baby! That's exciting.

    As far as the allergies... I actually used to work for a non-profit for food allergies: The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network. They have a lot of good resources you might want to check out. You can visit www.foodallergy.org. There is no known reason why some people have allergies. Some have speculated that it has something to do with what the mom eats while she's pregnant, but it's just speculation.

    Anyway... just thought that might help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the baby! And poor Hunter :( at least he's young enough to not know how good cashew really are :) Can't wait to see you guys (and your baby belly) this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah!!!! Congratulations, I'm so excited for you guys...hopefully you will get a cute little girl, though i suppose a boy would be fun for Hunter...speaking of Hunter, poor little guy. My sister has nut allergies too, they are no fun. She has to watch for them in like brownies and cakes and oh man, they are everywhere. And dogs and cows too, that's crazy. Maybe he'll grow out of some of the allergies as he grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allergies are no fun! But at least you can keep Roxy around. :) And if you guys are down for the holidays and you go to Bela's let us know . . .we're right on the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Mary! That is so exciting about the baby!!!!!!! I need to see yall soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how fun to be preggers! Our babies will be only weeks apart.I'm excited to find out what it is (I bet you are too!) I'm sorry about Hunter's allergies. Poor kiddo. I have a few allergies too, but with luck his will fade as he grows up!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Meet the Halversons